Pair Scottish Royal Rococo Louis XV Ormolu Bronze Candelabra
Our beautifully crafted pair of gilt bronze candelabra in the Louis XV style, after the original models by Juste-Aurele Meissonnier (1695-1750), have standards featuring three seated putti in classical drapery above a c-scroll cartouche engraved with armorial crest of the Earl of Breadalbane and Holland of Scotland. Apparently otherwise unmarked and dating from the nineteenth century. Height: 24 in (61 cm).
Earl of Breadalbane and Holland is a title in the Peerage of Scotland that was created in 1681 for Sir John Campbell, 5th Baronet of Glenorchy. Its four parts includes gyronny of eight parts in quarters one and four, galley with oars in action in quarter two, and in quarter three a fess chequy which is a checkered band of blue and white that stretched horizontally across a shield in battle. The high quality of their design, casting, finishing and gilding suggest to us this pair were likely commissioned by a member of Campbell clan. In the early nineteenth century, John Campbell, 1st Marquess of Breadalbane, 4th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1762–1834) is known to have commissioned bronzeware that displayed the crest of his title. (See our description below of the Sotheby's sale on October 20, 2006.) Other notable figures in the Campbell clan in the nineteenth century included: John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane, 5th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1796-1862); John Alexander Gavin Campbell, 6th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1824–1871); Gavin Campbell, 7th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1851–1922); Iain Edward Herbert Campbell, 8th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1885–1923); and Charles William Campbell, 9th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1889–1959).
On October 20, 2006, Sotheby's in New York offered in lot 123 a set of four ormolu candelabra from the George III period (circa 1800-1810) that were engraved with the same crest of the Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, and attributed to the royal goldsmiths, Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. The estimate was $200,000-$300,000. They were apparently purchased by John Campbell, 4th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1762-1834), Respresentative Peer for Scotland, 1784-1806, who also served as Councillor of State for Scotland to the Price of Wales in the latter years. A Fellow of the Royal Society, he also advanced to become a Lieutenant General in the Army in 1814. He married in 1793 Mary Turner, 1st daughter and coheir of David Gavin, of Langton House, co. Berwick, by Elizabeth, daughter of the 7th Earl of Lauderdale. In 1831, on the coronation of William IV, he was created Earl of Ormelie and Marquess of Breadalbane. He died three years later at Taymouth Castle in County Perth, home of the Campbell clan. The lot description suggests the set may have been purchased in connection with the remodeling of Taymouth Castle that began in 1806.
Rundell and Bridge was founded in London in 1787 by Philip Rundell (1746–1827) and John Bridge (1755–1834). The company was appointed as one of the goldsmiths and jewellers to the king in 1797 and Principal Royal Goldsmiths & Jewellers in 1804. The firm maintained the Royal Warrant until 1843.